Re: too many pages in one plot

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: too many pages in one plot
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 23:54:12 -0500 (CDT)

On 15-Sep-1998, Dirk Eddelbuettel <address@hidden> wrote:

|   Daniel>  Ok, I print a file using "gset terminal postscript;gset output
|   Daniel> 'tmp.ps';plot(stuff);" unfortunately octave/gnuplot plots more than
|   Daniel> one page!!!!!!
|
|   Daniel> if I translate the stuff using "convert tmp.ps tmp.gif"
|   Daniel> I get six!!!! files out of it. 3 are empty 3 are the plot,
|   Daniel> but the same.
|
| [...]
|
|   Daniel> Had anybody ever before had that bug?
|
| If memory serves, this is a gnuplot for which JWE provided a patch to one of
| these lists.

I think that patch was for a different problem.

Octave 2.0.13 fixes the blank page problem, but you still get 3 pages
for something like

  plot (x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3);

The problem is with the implementation of the plot function.  It
should be possible to fix, but it's not a high-priority project for
me.  Perhaps someone else would like to tackle the problem and submit
some patches?

In any case, a workaround is to do the plotting to the screen, then
issue a replot command:

  plot (x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3);
  gset term postscript
  gset output "tmp.ps"
  replot

Then you should get only one page.  If you don't want anything showing
up on the screen, try something like this:

  gset term postscript
  gset output "/dev/null"
  plot (x1, y1, x2, y2, x3, y3);
  gset output "tmp.ps"