Re: thoughts on indefinate variables...

From: Jonathan M Hill
Subject: Re: thoughts on indefinate variables...
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:24:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hello;

     I guess I'm confused...it is not clear to me what you're asking.
I'll throw this out, tell me how far off I am.  I know that Octave has
tools for manipulating polynomials.  Examples of polynomials
include y = 2 * x and y = 3 * x^2 + 2 * x + 5

     To represent a polynomial, write the coeficients to a vector.
Once in this form you use functions to manipulate the polynomial.
To take the derivative use polyderiv(), it returns the coefecients of
the derivative polynomial.  To integrate use polyinteg().  The roots()
function returns the zeros.

     I find the info pages helpful.

                                          Jonathan Hill
                                          address@hidden