Re: binaries and contributed source archive

From: Ben Sapp
Subject: Re: binaries and contributed source archive
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:22:15 -0700

"John W. Eaton" wrote:

> Is anyone interested in maintaining an ftp/web archive of Octave
> binaries and contributed sources?

I guess I am not so interested but I would like to see this happen and
would be willing to do it if no one else wanted to.   Unfortunatlely I
can not use any of the resources here at Los Alamos.   So, if no one
else wants to do it, I will go through the process at sourceforge.   Let
me know if you want me to do this and I will set it up in the next few
weeks.

> I cannot host it at the current Octave ftp/web site (soon to be
> octave.org, I hope), but I think you could use sourceforge.net if you
> don't have any other stable place to host it.

Do you still need help with setting up octave.org?  What is the hang
up?  I think I can help.  I set up "http://www.neutrino.lanl.gov"; on a
machine that is actually p25ext.lanl.gov so I can tell you what needs to
be done as far as web server configuration if you are using apache.
For example what I did was set it up so that
"http://p25ext.lanl.gov/neutrino"; and "http://www.neutrino.lanl.gov"; are
actually the same set of files on the same server.  So for example
"http://www.octave.org could use all the same files as
http://www.che.wisc.edu/octave/  and all this with one apache web
server.   You do not have to set it up this way for example if you
wanted to use www.che.wisc.edu as the server but only wanted people to
be able to access the web site as www.octave.org or octave.org that can
also be done.

If the problem is that you need a name server to connect octave.org with
a with an IP address I can contact the person here that is responsible
for maintaining the name server and see if Los Alamos can add octave.org
to its list.   The fellow is always very prompt.

So, whatever your problem is with octave.org I believe I can solve it
with out to many difficulties.

--
Ben Sapp                         Los Alamos National Laboratory
email: <mailto:address@hidden>   Phone: (505)667-3277