Re: some thoughts about the future of Octave

From: João Cardoso
Subject: Re: some thoughts about the future of Octave
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 04:05:47 +0000

"John A. Turner" wrote:

> JC> John Eaton has always been concerned with both the code "quality"  and
> JC> the code correcteness. In my opinion, this approach has keep away from
> JC> Octave many potential developers.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I would hope that any potential
> developers *not* concerned with code quality and correctness *continue* to
> stay away from the project

While (numerical) code correctness is needed and a matter of concern, as
previously stated by John Eaton some time ago about accepting and
reviewing patches, "quality" is perhaps only meaningfull to computer
scientists or programmers -- or does exists an ISO-xxx for assessing it?
Numerical correctness, on the other side, puts an interesting question:
who is competent to establish its correctness on others than everyday
domains?

As everything on life, one can be more conservative or permissive; what
I said was that in my opinion, the border line was too much on the
conservative side. But I guess that the only judge on what happened in
this matter is John Eaton.

Joao