Re: Debugging .oct file building

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Debugging .oct file building
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 10:44:19 -0600

On 15-Dec-2000, Thomas Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:

| > |
| > | (If it matters: I tried all this on a HP-UX 10.20 system w/ gcc 2.95.3)
| >
| > OK, but what version of Octave?
|
| Of course, I simply forgot that: Octave 2.0.14
|
| > Why did you think using gcc would be
| > the correct thing to do?  What error messages did you see that
| > prompted you to not use the C++ compiler?
|
| It was a desperate attempt to get away w/o recompiling gcc on HP-UX:
|
| c++ -shared -fPIC -o oregonator.oct oregonator.o
| /usr/ccs/bin/ld: DP relative code in file
| /opt/gcc/lib/gcc-lib/hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20/2.95.2/libstdc++.a(cstrmain.o) -
shared library must be
| position
|     independent.  Use +z or +Z to recompile.
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Ah.  I think you need to do exactly what the error message says and
rebuild Octave's libraries as shared libraries.  Configure with
--enable-shared and things will probably be a bit better.

The reason that it appeared to succeed with gcc is that gcc does not
automatically link with libstdc++.  But that library is required, (and
apparently required to be a shared library) so you have simply delayed
failure until you try to load the .oct file.

jwe