Re: building documention (copyright?)

From: Gerrit
Subject: Re: building documention (copyright?)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:03:01 +0200

Hello John,

A very good point! Thanks for saving me: I should not consider making
another manual. I reacted so quickly to Ralf's request since his question
has crossed my mind before as well.

So I will not publish. But the files I prepared (both txt and
treepad-format) are available to anyone who sends me a request. Please send
me a direct mail, do not use the octave mailing list for these requests! But
I agree with John, it does not contain any information is all available in
the Octave DOC (http://www.octave.org/doc/octave_toc.html)

What seems lacking from the manual is a possibility to quickly browse the
list of functions available. I've found myself browsing the folders with
m-files, instead of properly using the manual. Am I mistaken if I think most
of us did?

I suggest to implementing a functionlist in html to accompany the exsisting
Octave DOC using frames. It could display a functionlist in the left pane,
and load desriptions in the right pane. We could present the reader two ways
to access the manual: with or without this function list. I volunteer in
implementing if this is considered a possible improvement.

Regards,

Gerrit Kiers

PS. I will leave for a long weekend and therefore cannot participate in a
further discussion that might emerge here.