Re: Mac OS X: can anyone install octave or octave-forge?

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: Mac OS X: can anyone install octave or octave-forge?
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:53:43 +0100

Hi,
Octave does run under Mac OS X (including 10.1, but not tested on 10.1.1). If you want to install it "by hand" there are instructions at http://homepage.mac.com/persquare

Make sure that you enable dynamic linking as described if you want to use octave-forge. Not all parts of octave-forge work though. If you get an error making a package, just disable it by placing a file named NOINSTALL in that directory.

Otherwise you might want to use fink (an automated package manager for OSX) to install it. Fink has octave 2.1.35 and an option to install and link against ATLAS too, and it enables dynamic loading by default.

See fink.sourceforge.net for more info. (Octave is in the unstable branch, check the FAQ and the mailing lists for more info.)

FYI, the problem on OS X (and Darwin) lies with C++ templates which octave makes heavy use of. Apples linker is a moving target at present, but improves with time. Good news is that the kludgy patch needed for OSX 10.4 is unneccessary in 10.1 but a few other bugs has to be worked around. See Ben Singers page http://homepage.mac.com/bsinger/octave/ for more info on that.

**** All bugs are reported to Apple and will be fixed "upstream", my prediction is that we'll have a clean octave install "real soon now" ;-) ****

BTW, there is a bug in OS X's tempnam() which I'm trying to iron out in octave. For some reason it doesn't help to undefine HAVE_TEMPNAM but I'll get back to you on that one.

Cheers,
Per

PS. Fink also has an early preview of a Cocoa-native gnuplot terminal that saves you from installing XFree86 unless you need it for other reasons. (See http://aquaterm.sourceforge.net for more info on that and some screenshots)

PPS. The above was a shameless plug for an app written by me;-)