Re: Octave & Mac OSX

From: Michael W. Martin
Subject: Re: Octave & Mac OSX
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 11:52:35 -0600

On Tuesday, February 12, 2002, at 08:57 AM, Pierre Vaudrey wrote:
octave:10> plot (t,x)
Everything works (I can print t & x ) except " plot (t,x) "
Can you help me to solve this issue ?

I have octave running on my G4 tower and my Titanium laptop and have used it for plotting. While some of the posts on this subject have dealt with some of the plotting issues, it might be useful to summarize some of the details. I experimented with various things and some work better than others.

Octave, as noted earlier, uses gnuplot for plots. Gnuplot must be installed. Fink will do this just fine. Now, to actually USE gnuplot, one needs an X-Windowing system of one sort or another. You have two choices, install XDarwin/X11 or Aquaterm. I have tried both and each has certain advantages.

I prefer XDarwin/X11, since octave is not the only useful Unix package that needs X11 support. I recommend that you go to http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_apps_utilities/xfree86.html and download the installer and use it. The current fink X11 install has some problems, problems I never got resolved despite posting questions at sourceforge on the subject. As a result, I DO NOT recommend the fink X11/XDarwin installation at this time, but the installer at the URL above. The installer does not have the problems fink does in getting X11 configured properly. The only problem with the installer route is that since the installer use a new XFree86/XDarwin build, some older X11 apps might need to be recomplied/downloaded. So be advised if an old X11 app suddenly stops working. It will take some time for all the X11 sofware to update to XFree86 4.2. Octave/gnuplot does just fine under XFree86 4.2, so for your immedeate needs, you should not have any problems.

Lastly, on the subject of XFree86, the XDarwin application which starts the X11 window environment is automatically installed in your Applications folder, so look for it there. This is true of both fink and the installer.

You can bypass the X11/XFree86/XDarwin approach and use Aquaterm if you so desire. It is in some respects nicer than XDarwin and certianly plays well with OSX. However, I have used gnuplot/X11 over the years on various platforms and am set in my ways to a certain extent. It is a matter of preference really. If you DO use Aquaterm, then you cannot use fink to simply install gnuplot. You need to get gnuplot 3.8 and compile it yourself. It is not hard, but I do recall having to do a little something to install it. You will also need to configure gnuplot to use Aquaterm. You can get the details at: http://homepage.mac.com/persquare/matlabReplace.html. I have used AquaTerm, by the way, and though I use XDarwin usually, I do keep AquaTerm around in case I need it.

Now one BIG difference between gnuplot via XDarwin and gnuplot via Aquaterm is that one must launch XDarwin first and then execute octave (or gnuplot) from the command line before plotting. XWindows apps need to be run under Xwindows, so run your Xterms/Xwindows first and then enter the commands to execute the approriate app. On OSX, this means launching XDarwin as your terminal app. If you do run octave/gnuplot under Aquaterm, Aquaterm will launch itself. (As I said, Aquaterm plays well under OSX). Since I work under XWindows/XDarwin all the time for other apps, this difference is not important to me.

On a related note: