Re: Efficiency

From: Yoel Callev
Subject: Re: Efficiency
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:17:50 +0300

Yoel Callev wrote:

Hi, I'm new to Octave, and have a few innocent questions:

1) Is there a way to compile octave code? (so it'll run faster then when it is interpeted)
2) Can one handle integers in Octave (in the interest of efficiency)
3) Is it possible to call Octave functions (to inverse a matrix, diagonalize etc) from a C program?

Replies I got personnaly (I'm publishing them so that I don't get additional replies repeating their contents:

By: Przemek Klosowski
1) Is there a way to compile octave code? (so it'll run faster then when it is interpeted) 3) Is it possible to call Octave functions (to inverse a matrix, diagonalize etc) from a C program?
No, you can't compile .m files. You can, however, write a C/C++ program making
calls to octave library.

  2) Can one handle integers in Octave (in the interest of efficiency)
yes, you can; octave has several builtin types, and even a facility to
add custom types (but it requires extending octave library)

By: Paul Kienzle

Hi, I'm new to Octave, and have a few innocent questions:

1) Is there a way to compile octave code? (so it'll run faster then when it is interpeted)

No.  But you can recode it into C++ and dynamically load it.

2) Can one handle integers in Octave (in the interest of efficiency)

No.

3) Is it possible to call Octave functions (to inverse a matrix, diagonalize etc) from a C program?

See octave/src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/inv.cc (or maybe inverse.cc) for an example of how to write a C++ function which calls the liboctave function for inverse