Re: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?

From: Kent Lundberg
Subject: Re: postscript octave plots display incorrectly?
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:47:43 -0400

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 23:25:31 -0400 (EDT)
Shengchao Li <address@hidden> wrote:

> I use dvips to convert .dvi files into .ps files, then use ps2pdf to
> convert .ps files into .pdf files. There is no problem so far.

The problem with this method is that it produces PDF files with Type 3
bitmapped fonts, which don't scale well on the screen, and only print at
300dpi.  Using pdflatex automatically forces the use of Type 1 scaleable
fonts, which look much better.  I know that dvips can be coaxed into using
type 1 fonts, but that's the hard way.

Besides, it is my opinion that there is something wrong with the
postscript graphics routines in octave (or perhaps gnuplot) if it produces
postscript that looks different on-the-screen versus on-the-page, and if
that postscript is non-standard in such a way that lines disappear when
converted using standard tools.

Thanks,

--> Kent.