Reading files faster now

From: Tom Kornack
Subject: Reading files faster now
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:15:36 -0400

Dear Julian and Ramil:

Many thanks for your prompt replies. As it turns out, textread was the culprit here. Using 'load' is _much_ faster. But load wasn't working for me. I found that the load command bails when it encounters a carriage return. I had to remove the carriage returns at the end of the lines to make this work. I would consider this a bug, since lots of folks are likely to be getting their data from Windows or Macintosh native data acquisition routines. I am happy to report that the octave load command operates faster than similar built-in load functions in igor.

Regards,
Tom

kornack.com
609-688-9077 (h), 609-258-0702 (w)
Fundamental Symmetries Lab, Princeton University
414C Devereux Avenue, Princeton, New Jersey 08540