Re: Octave for Windows

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Octave for Windows
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:01:11 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Steven Levine wrote:

> >I think someone (jwe?) should at least set the minimum requirements for
> >an Octave for Windows distro.
>
> No one can set any requirements.  The license precudes this.  What needs
> to be done is what appears to be happening now.  That is, the interested
> parties are communicating and coming to a consensus as to how the labor
> will be divided.

I'll add one suggestion.  No matter who does what with Octave code (new
Windows versions, collections of m-files, etc.), they ought to make their
stuff available through the contributions page on www.octave.org.  As it
stands, it is very difficult to work with that contributions page.  There
is a FAQ, a very long one, for Octave for Windows, and there is a link to
this page -- http://sourceforge.net/projects/matlinks -- for a binary, but
I can't tell if that's Andy's or John's, or someone elses.

Things seem to be all over the place and it is difficult for non-experts
on Octave to figure out where to go and what to do to get started.

I don't mean to be a complainer because I am amazed at all the things you
guys have accomplished.  I do wish there was one place I could go and
start reading, and that one place would direct me to the other places I
should check out.  It would be organized for someone who doesn't know
anything except that he might want to use Octave.

Mike