How to install Octave with Atlas?

From: Jose Otavio Bueno
Subject: How to install Octave with Atlas?
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:28:31 +0100

After reading the email "Matrix multiplication benchmark - Octave vs. Matlab" from Zdenek Hurak – 27/07/03, I noticed that in the computer I've installed Octave (Pentium4 1.8GHz, octave's version 2.1.48), the computation time was also relatively high:

  GNU Octave, version 2.1.48 (i686-pc-cygwin).
  Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 John W. Eaton.
  This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
  There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
  FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

  Please contribute if you find this software useful.
  For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

  Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

  octave:1> A=rand(500,500);
  octave:2> tic,b=A*A;toc
  ans = 4.3710

John W. Eaton answered the email saying: "Is your copy of Octave actually linked with the Atlas library?  I would guess not if it is that much slower."
I've installed Octave for the first time using the Method 1 from the page "Octave under Windows" (http://octave.sourceforge.net/Octave_Windows.htm), and as in this page there's no explanation how to link an actual version with the Atlas, I've uninstalled the Cygwin and Octave and installed again as described in the Method 4, using the file "octave-2.1.42-gnuplot-octaveforge-p4atlas.tar.bz2" from the Octave Forge site (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2888).
After the installation the response time improved significantly, but I noticed also that for some commands I need result errors with the version 2.1.42+Atlas.
---------------------------------------
version 2.1.42 WITH ATLAS:
---------------------------------------
  GNU Octave, version 2.1.42 (i686-pc-cygwin).
  Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 John W. Eaton.
  This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
  There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
  FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

  Please contribute if you find this software useful.
  For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

  Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

  octave:1> a=rand(500,500);
  octave:2> tic,b=a*a;toc,
  ans = 0.40300
  octave:3> filesep
  error: `filesep' undefined near line 3 column 1
  octave:3>

Then I decided to add the version 2.1.48, and I followed the instructions from "Method 3: Installation of additional Octave versions, based on method 2", from the page "Octave under Windows" again. After the installation, all the commands I need was working properly, but the response time increased as it was before:

  GNU Octave, version 2.1.48 (i686-pc-cygwin).
  Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 John W. Eaton.
  This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
  There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
  FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

  Please contribute if you find this software useful.
  For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

  Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

  octave:1> a=rand(500,500);
  octave:2> tic,b=a*a;toc,
  ans = 4.5940
  octave:3> filesep
  filesep = /
  octave:4>

How can I install the version 2.1.48 linked with Atlas???? Is there another possibility to link the Atlas directly to a version that's already installed?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Otavio