Re: quicktime in octave

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: quicktime in octave
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:44:45 +0200

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 05:32 PM, charo wrote:
I've been looking at Apple's web and it seems that is not possible to use quicktime api on Linux.

There are some free/open alternatives, e.g. libquicktime at http://libquicktime.sourceforge.net/

I'm a linux user with no idea of api programming.
Is there any easy way to read/write frames with other programs and then read the frames with octave?

You could use some program to convert the movie to a sequence of images in whatever format you prefer. I'm afraid I can't provide a pointer to such a program for Linux, but I'm sure there are a number of options.

If you can get hold of a Mac or a Windows machine, download Quicktime and upgrade it to "Pro" version ($30). You can then do export a movie as an image sequence.

I just need to do some simple calculations using every three frames on a movie.

Well, once you have an image sequence, read it into octave and do whatever you please. Octave-forge provides some additional functions for reading images. See http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/ , look under Image processing.

/Per

Your advice is truly appreciated. Thanks,

Rosario