Re: octave-2.1.50 with octave-forge-2.1.36

From: Julius Smith
Subject: Re: octave-2.1.50 with octave-forge-2.1.36
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:39:40 -0700

Thanks to some tips from from Paul Kienzle, I found that this problem is caused by building Octave with shared-libraries disabled (the default). Apparently, on a Red Hat 9 Linux system, one MUST add the configure option

        configure --enable-shared

The INSTALL.OCTAVE file even documents this potential problem:

`--enable-shared'
          Create shared libraries. ... It will make your
          `.oct' files much smaller and on some systems it may be
          necessary to build shared libraries in order to use
          dynamically linked functions.

I would suggest that Octave's configure script should enable shared libraries by default, at least on all systems (such as Red Hat 9) where it is known to be required for Octave Forge compatibility.

Julius