Re: Wavelab & octave

From: Josep Monés i Teixidor
Subject: Re: Wavelab & octave
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:05:28 +0200

On dg, 2003-10-19 at 20:52, A S Hodel wrote:
> The MEX file interface for MATLAB is entirely different than that of
> Octave.
> You will likely need to write C++ wrapper functions around the mex
> functions
> in your code.  There are some examples of this sort of thing at
>       ftp://ftp.eng.auburn.edu/pub/hodel
> and in the Octave source code (search for oregonator.cc).  I seem to
> remember some other
> people have put some effort into getting some level of compatibility
> between MEX source and that of Octave, but they'll need to speak
> to that (search at octave.sourceforge.net for a starting point)

Thanks for your answer. I thought that WaveLab could be used with Octave
"out of the box" already. I don't need all the belts and whistles: only
the core stuff.

I need a wavelets package for a project quickly, because I haven't got
much time to do it (I needed for a undergraduate course about image
compression) so I won't be able to contribute such a wrapper for the
moment.

I've been messing a bit more with WaveLab and have notices that MEX
functions have their M-files counterpart. Does that mean that they are
only meant to accelerate the package? If someone who is using the
package could enlighten me I would really appreciate.

I've also need to make some modifications to the sources. For instance,
original code had:

PATHNAMESEPARATOR = '\';

in it. But octave doesn't seem to like that. I had to change it to:

PATHNAMESEPARATOR = '\\';

Regards,

--
Josep Monés i Teixidor