Re: lists and cell arrays ?

From: taltman
Subject: Re: lists and cell arrays ?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 19:03:35 +0000 (UTC)

Please see my comments below:

On Nov 18, 2003 at 5:06pm, David Bateman wrote:

David. >Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:06:31 +0100
David. >This is one of my pet peeves with octave, in that user defined types
can't
David. >use concatenation. So I vote for a generic concatenation code. I just

I think you're talking about two things here. Built-in types
vs. user-defined data structures. Octave's data types, namely,
strings, matrices, cell-arrays, (deprecated) lists, and
associative-arrays (aka "structs"), should have high-level syntax for
concatenation & other useful functions. I don't believe that it's
possible for a programming language to have standard operators for
user-defined abstract data structures, since a wily user can create
all sorts of crazy data schemes. :-)

~Tomer