Re: strange problem

From: Tomer Altman
Subject: Re: strange problem
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 02:24:26 -0800 (PST)

These are algorithms, not AI. You cannot expect them to
"reality-check" their own results. They can't tell "obvious" errors apart
from numerical errors. They have their own method of calculating a
matrix product, and they'll plod through the same steps whether its a
2x2 or a 2000x2000 matrix. They cannot take a look at your data, and
show how that ans(1,1) element is really only trivial
arithmetic. They're going to find out the answer the long, systematic
way, which might introduce more round-off error than by just "seeing it".

If you are confident that you only need a limited amount of precision,
round off the unnessary precision. In my algorithms, I don't bemoan
"Oh no! Negative zeros! BLAS must be all messed up!". I just realize
the limitations of floating point, and try to determine the minimum
precision I require for my answers.

If you want infinitely-precise results, I recommend GNU Maxima:

http://maxima.sf.net

Cheers,

~Tomer

P.S.- My incoherent & misspelled ramblings this evening are offered
with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or FITNESS
FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.