Re: Starting using octave

From: robert Macy
Subject: Re: Starting using octave
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 08:02:26 -0800

Although notepad is very functional for editing script
files, the line editor in octave jumps back and forth,
highlighting a matching parenthesis.  VERY worthwhile
feature.  Thus, an editor that highlights commands, etc
similar to the Fortran editor would also really simplify
writing script for the more advanced user.

You are right, novices approaching octave have an attitude
of "walk before you run".  I am very reluctant to download
and install every gizmo possible because of some very poor
experiences with other software, including some very famous
commercial software.  Again, for a novice, it is a daunting
task to clean up after a messy installation.

Is there a site we can go to, view contributions,
suggestions, make suggestions and/or give examples, and put
together a "Getting Started in Octave" manual?  With some
cutoff date given, after which a responsible party
synopsizes and converts all into reality.

                      - Robert -