XEmacs octave mode (font lock problem)

From: Victor Munoz
Subject: XEmacs octave mode (font lock problem)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:49:15 +0900

 Hello. Lately I've had a problem with editing octave files with
 XEmacs. I'm using Debian woody, and this may be an issue with the
 distribution or with XEmacs. So I'm posting this to the octave help
 and debian user lists, in case someone has a clue.

 When I open a file, XEmacs loads octave mode. However, when I try
 to edit it (for instance, I add a space in a line such as 'if fig==8,',
 XEmacs complains:

  (warning/warning) Error caught in font-lock-pre-idle-hook': (error No such
face font-lock-builtin-face)

  Now, searching in the Internet I found discussions about this issue,
  but they're very old. In fact, I got this same warning when I used
  Debian potato. Last year I switched to woody, and I was glad to see
  it disappear, so I understood the patch was available in the woody
  distribution. However, now I installed a new machine, installed the same
XEmacs/octave packages I had before, and the problem is here again!

In case it helps, I use xemacs 21 (mule version, not-gnome version), and
the octave 2.0.16.92-7 package. Octave mode works better with emacs 21,
but I still prefer what I used to have a few months ago with xemacs.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,
                                                Victor