Re: octave html help

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: octave html help
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:49:51 -0800

I do have octave-forge installed (via gentoo emerge).  No html files
came with it; just the standard text documents:

$ epm -ql octave-forge | grep "doc"
/usr/share/doc/octave-forge-2003.02.22/COPYING.BSD.gz
/usr/share/doc/octave-forge-2003.02.22/COPYING.GPL.gz
/usr/share/doc/octave-forge-2003.02.22/INDEX.gz
/usr/share/doc/octave-forge-2003.02.22/TODO.gz
/usr/share/doc/octave-forge-2003.02.22/COPYING.gz
/usr/share/doc/octave-forge-2003.02.22/AUTHORS.gz
/usr/share/doc/octave-forge-2003.02.22/RELEASE-NOTES.gz
/usr/share/doc/octave-forge-2003.02.22/ChangeLog.gz
$ epm -ql octave-forge | grep "man"
/usr/share/man/man1/mex.1.gz
$ epm -ql octave-forge | grep "html"
$

My (limited) understanding of octave vs. octave-forge amounts to this
analogy:  octave <-> matlab; octave-forge <-> matlab-toolboxes.

Documentation is something else altogether.  In both matlab and octave
you can get help from the command prompt by:

octave> help foo

This requires knowing that "foo" exists, and at times the help you get
here is quite limited.  Recent Matlab products (which I no longer use)
come with extensive html based documentation that was browsable and
searchable.  The browsable index of functions on octave.sourceforge
seems to be a primative form of this, but still very useful.  This is
what I want available locally.

Jonathan

Henry F. Mollet wrote:
I believe it amounts to installing octave-forge in addition to octave. There
is apparently more to octave-forge than just a list of .m files that you're
referring to. I recently asked about the difference between octave and
octave-forge but saw no reply.
Henry