Re: More on binary packages and FFTW/ATLAS

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: More on binary packages and FFTW/ATLAS
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:31:01 -0600

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 12:21:12PM -0600, Quentin Spencer wrote:
> a variety of different hardware. If I understand correctly (correct me
> if I'm wrong), the fftw_wisdom file contains all of the machine specific
> optimizations, while the rest of the binary code is generic, but ATLAS
> does some compile-time optimizations. How has this been handled in the
> past for the other binary distributions (Debian, Windows, or OSX)?

On Debian, Camm has put a lot of work in for architecture-specific packages:

address@hidden:~> apt-cache search "^atlas*"
atlas-doc - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,documentation
atlas-test - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,test programs
atlas2-3dnow - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,3dnow shared
atlas2-3dnow-dev - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,3dnow static
atlas2-base - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,generic shared
atlas2-base-dev - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,generic static
atlas2-headers - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,C header files
atlas2-sse - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,SSE1 shared
atlas2-sse-dev - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,SSE1 static
atlas2-sse2 - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,SSE2 shared
atlas2-sse2-dev - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,SSE2 static
atlas3-3dnow - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,3dnow shared
atlas3-3dnow-dev - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,3dnow static
atlas3-base - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,generic shared
atlas3-base-dev - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,generic static
atlas3-doc - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,documentation
atlas3-headers - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,C header files
atlas3-sse - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,SSE1 shared
atlas3-sse-dev - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,SSE1 static
atlas3-sse2 - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,SSE2 shared
atlas3-sse2-dev - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,SSE2 static
atlas3-test - Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software,test programs
address@hidden:~>

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page