Re: algebraic manipulator in octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: algebraic manipulator in octave
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:20:04 -0500

On Feb 21, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Arnau Mir wrote:

Hello.

Can I use octave as algebraic manipulator?
For example, can I make with octave the following:

a x^2+b x+c=0

and octave responses a solution as a function of a,b c?

octave-forge (http://octave.sf.net) has a symbolic
package which is a wrapper around GiNaC.  It
preserves symbols through mathematical operations.
Later you can substitute values for the symbols.

It looks to have some numeric solvers, but I don't
see anything to solve for x symbolically.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden