Re: recursion and fsolve

From: Fred Metcalf
Subject: Re: recursion and fsolve
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:15:29 -0700

Working in a fog of ignorance, I tried what Joe Koski is suggesting, and it did not work. However, my ignorance comes from being an octave user who has never looked into the internals. I've never dynamically linked an external program, for example.

I did "edit" the .oct code and there are numerous references to "fsolve" in the binary, and these would probably have to be changed. Of course, as has been pointed out, the heart of fsolve is off in Fortran 77 land, and that's perhaps the part that has to be invoked with a different name.

Fred Metcalf

Joe Koski wrote:
Would it be possible to copy the .oct file to the local directory, rename
it, and use it as if it  were a separate function? Would the calling
sequence somehow mess that up?

Joe Koski

on 8/4/04 2:57 PM, John W. Eaton at address@hidden wrote:

On  4-Aug-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| Should a patch like that in this message be sufficient? Want to try it
| with a test case..

No, because the core of fsolve is written in Fortran 77 and that
doesn't allow recursion.

jwe