cygwin/X & multiple figure windows

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: cygwin/X & multiple figure windows
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:23:50 -0500

On  8-Mar-2005, Chuck Dorval <address@hidden> wrote:

| new to octave (scilab convert), familiar with X, but not cygwin/X...<br /><br
| />I'd like to use octave to generate mulitple plots (figures), under windows.
| It seems that gnuplot can only do this under X, so I've installed cygwin/X
| with gnuplot-4.0.0 and they both work beautifully. As others before me have
| suggested, when I run octave, it can't find pgnuplot.<br /><br />I can copy in
| the old pgnuplot and associated wgnuplot files, reset my terminal to 'windows'
| and octave will work fine, but I'm resigned to using only one plot window.

The pgnuplot+wgnuplot combo does not support multiple frames.  If you
want that, then you have to use a version of gnuplot and X11.  So use
the gnuplot 4.x from Cygwin (it should be installed in /usr/bin), set
Octave's gnuplot_binary variable to "gnuplot", then start Octave from
an X terminal.  I think that running X with Cygwin is better now that
it does not try to take over the desktop (as I recall that it used to
do).

jwe