Re: Sparse-merge

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Sparse-merge
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:28:25 +0100

Richard Hindmarsh wrote:

I think realistically what I can do is write an interface to ARPACK for my needs keeping in mind the possibility of an "eigs" implementation and see how near that gets us to such an implementation.

That would already be a major start. If you look at a function like splu.cc in DLD-FUNCTIONS in the CVS this should give you a good idea of how to do the interfacing.

As I mentioned previously, the conjugate gradient routines on the sparse wishlist are potentially available (presumably freely) on netlib ("Templates ..." by various people including Dongarra). Being m-files they might not be optimally fast, but if its a matter of testing and modifying them for Octave I might be able to help there. Or is there a reason for avoiding them?

There are already pcr.m and pcg.m in octave-forge that I haven't importedg and left a question mark about them in the PROJECTS files. I don't use them, don't know how good the implementation is, don't know about their compatiability with the equivalent matlab code, and whether it is worth imports these functions. I'd basically hoped a user of these function would answer such questions and at least texinfo-fy the help of them so that they might be imported. If there are other better codes with a GPL compatiable license, then of course they too might be considered as candidates for developing iterative solvers for octave.

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary