Re: Status of octave on Fedora

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Status of octave on Fedora
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:55:53 -0700

E. Joshua Rigler wrote:

Can you summarize what fixes have been applied, or point to relevant
discussions on this or other lists?  I actually compile these on my own
too, and have long tolerated a few failed "make check" results that I
believe are related to problems with these libraries.  It would be nice
to finally fix this minor problem as I upgrade from 2.1.64 to 2.1.67.

The RedHat's fix is to compile few files in lapack/blas with reduced
optimization. This is the relevant snippet from lapack.spec:

cd SRC
# Some files don't like -O2, but -Os is fine
RPM_OPT_SIZE_FLAGS=$(echo $RPM_OPT_FLAGS | sed 's|-O2|-Os|')
FFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_SIZE_FLAGS" make dlamch.o slamch.o
FFLAGS="$RPM_OPT_FLAGS" make static

For lapack that I am using myself, I recompiled the
files

dcabs1
dlamch
slamch
dgeev

with "-ffloat-store" added to FFLAGS.

Some people do not like "-ffloat-store", so
I put up the official RedHat RPMs instead of mine.
(I am also not sure that dcabs1 and dgeev do require
the fix.)

Since it is not clear if this is a compiler problem or lapack problem,
I will leave it to jwe to decide if octave (which includes some of
the lapack sources) should include this workaround in it.

Thanks.

-EJR

Regards,

Dmitri