Re: Congratulations!

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Congratulations!
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:23:17 +0200

Richard Hindmarsh wrote:

I recently got interested in Octave after seeing that sparse matrices were available, and compiled a recent CVS. I tried running a Matlab/mex fluid dynamcis script of probably 2000 lines, and got it to run with little trouble (I had to find the functions "inputname" and "num2cell"). For a particuilar test case on a particular computer, Matlab runs it in 10s. Octave runs it in 15s, but with a dual processing BLAS library I can get the time down to 10s again. his was without the benefit of being able to optimise with a profiler on Octave. The answers are the same (apart from last two figures of double precision numbers). T

I'm hugely impressed, and having Octave as a potential multi-threaded platform on many architectures is a real bonus.

Thanks to all concerned
Richard Hindmarsh

Richard,

If you are using sparse matrices in the benchmark above I'm curious if you used the "\" operator? If so that is probably what took most of the time and also I don't see why octave should be slower than matlab on any platform for this operator. So then my next question would be what type of matrix are you solving? Is it banded? Is it real or complex? Is it symmetric/hermitian? Then finally the question would be how was UMFPACK installed if the matrix wasn't banded, etc? Is UMFPACK linked against atlas or the like?

Regards
David