Re: Octave on Mac

From: Aakash S Dalwani
Subject: Re: Octave on Mac
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 11:36:32 -0500

On 5/9/2005, "Aakash S Dalwani" <address@hidden> wrote:

>On 5/9/2005, "Joe Koski" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>on 5/9/05 9:26 AM, A Scotte Hodel at address@hidden wrote:
>>
>>> I received the question below.  The procedure that I used to compile
>>> octave-2.1.64 does not appear to work for the more recent 2.1.x branch
>>> release or CVS releases.  Has anyone else had success with this?
>>>
>>> I've used a Makefile to do the octave/octave-forge install on Octave.
>>> The text of the Makefile is at the end of this email.
>>>
>>And, oh yeah, I also had to use the trick
>>
>>  FLIBS=-lg2c ./configure --enable-shared --enable-dl --disable-static
>>
>>to configure before I built octave. See the help at
>>
>>  http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForMac
>
>Yes I did that, still no luck. Thanks for the tip though

My mistake, using the FLIBS=-lg2c gives me an error
"checking for g77... no
checking for f77... f77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether f77 accepts -g... yes
checking how to get verbose linking output from f77... -v
checking for Fortran 77 libraries... -lg2c
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran 77 libraries... unknown
configure: error: linking to Fortran libraries from C fails"

    As you will notice that I am using the IBM Fortran compilers(f77) not
g77. But the earlier errors I got don't look like that they were due to
this.

[ld: multiple definitions of symbol vtable for Array<long>
Array-i.o definition of vtable for Array<long> in section(__DATA,__const)
Array-so.o definition of vtable for Array<long> in
section(__DATA,__const),

then after removing Array-so.cc

MArray2<std::complex<double> > operator*<std::complex<double>
>(std::complex<double> const&, MArray2<std::complex<double> > const&)
MArray2<std::complex<double> > operator-<std::complex<double>
>(MArray2<std::complex<double> > const&)
MArray2<std::complex<double> > operator+<std::complex<double>
>(MArray2<std::complex<double> > const&, MArray2<std::complex<double> >
const&)]

    As I wrote in my earlier mail that I am a insalling Octave (2.9.2) on
a node of an Apple Cluster running Mac OS X server (10.3.7). I also have
access to the Absoft Fortran compilers, will using them help??

-
Aakash