Re: Error message formatting (was Re: wavread problems)

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: Error message formatting (was Re: wavread problems)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:26:06 -0700

On 5/11/05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11-May-2005, Keith Goodman wrote:
>
> | ERROR: `fidy' undefined
> | Ln  86, Col 13 of /big/long/directory/path/myfunction.m
> | Ln  26, Col 12 of /somewhat/shorter/path/slick.m
> | Ln 113, Col 14 of /random/matrix/theory/rmt.m
> | Ln  17, Col 14 of /octave/money/back/gaurantee/fx.m
>
> I think it would be better to use something like
>
>   /big/long/directory/path/myfunction.m:86:13: error: ...
>
> but this would not be so easy to do given the way error handling is
> currently implemented.

In this example I tried not to add any more information than was
already in the traceback---just edit and reformat it. But I may have
picked an example that happens to have all the info I need in the
traceback, whereas some errors don't.

Does the function stack have line numbers and function paths for all
functions in the stack? (If I was sharper I'd look at the code.)