Why is different ^ and .^?

From: Javier Arantegui
Subject: Why is different ^ and .^?
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 20:10:29 +0200

Hello,

This is a question from a newbie, please don't be very hard with me ;-)  I
don't think that this is a new question but I haven't find the answer.

I am introducing Octave as a tool to teach process control. My students find
very confusing, and frankly I agree with them, the need to add . to the
operators when you are using vectors. For example, using Octave 2.1.64:

octave:7> a=0:1:10;
octave:8> a.^2
ans =

    0    1    4    9   16   25   36   49   64   81  100

octave:9> a^2
error: for A^b, A must be square
error: evaluating binary operator `^' near line 9, column 2

Why the second option (^ instead of .^) doesn't work? Shouldn't be easier if
you could use the same operator as when you are working with an scalar? I'd
be happy if you could provide me an explanation that I could give to my
students.

Thanks in advance,

Javier

--
Javier Arántegui
Dept. Tecnologia de Alimentos / Dept. of Food Technology

Tel. +34 973702595
Fax  +34 973702596
IM: Jabber - javier.arantegui (AT) jabberes.org
http://www.tecal.udl.es