Re: How to use GNU MP in octave?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: How to use GNU MP in octave?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:43:58 +0200

Ben Barrowes wrote:

I have written a mex-based toolbox for ML which calls GMP and MPFR routines to achieve arbitrary precision in ML: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=6446&objectType=FILE This toolbox defines a new mp data type and overloads common functions and operators using an @mp directory.

Unfortunately there is no class structure in octave at the moment and so the use of a @mp directory is out. However, classes is on JWE's ToDo in the maybe before 3.0 maybe after category. So I fully expect that octave will have classes sometime soon. Till then it is possible to include new types in octave, but they must be written entirely as C++ code.

I have heard that there is mex functionality written into octave, but I have not experimented with it. If the mex wrapper in octave is substantially similar to ML's, perhaps this toolbox could be ported without too much trouble.

You'd be better porting the mex to oct-files in the end. The problem is that matlab stores the real and imaginary parts of variables seperately, and so the interface from octave to mex has to handle these details, and so always pays a speed penalty.

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary