Re: Octave for windows using QEMU

From: Stefan van der Walt
Subject: Re: Octave for windows using QEMU
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 09:07:00 +0200

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 11:51:44AM -0400, Tom Holroyd wrote:
> Michael Creel wrote:
> >I just placed a special version of the Knoppix CD in the tray of a
> >computer running windows. The CD autoruns, and starts up Knoppix running
> >in a QEMU window.
>
> >The catch is that this is all vvveerrryyy sssllooowww.
>
> I see the problem.  You forgot to _boot_ the Knoppix CD.  :-)
> Seriously, it can read the windows filesystems....

I think Michael was just pointing out that QEMU is a novel, if
useless, way of running Octave under Windows.

Similarly, I've had some success installing Debian and Octave under
CooperativeLinux on a windows machine.  See

 http://www.colinux.org

I don't recall whether is was fast; guess I should go and do a few
benchmarks.  Nice thing is that you can zip up your whole CoLinux
distribution and take it from machine to machine.  But to get XWindows
running probably won't be so easy.

Regards
Stefan