Re: statistics distributions function names

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: statistics distributions function names
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:38:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Mike Miller wrote:

Someone suggested the use of aliases. How are aliases used in Octave? We could use symbolic links.

I wasn't exactly suggesting aliases (I don't know of any alias functionality in octave), I was actually thinking of doing different functions. One easy way to do it would be to do something like the following (assuming matlab has the same functionality and arguement order, using the function names that you noticed):

=== Begin poissinv.m
## poissinv - see poission_inv

function [varargout] = poissinv(varargin)

warning("poissinv: this function name is for compatibiltiy with matlab, see
poisson_inv")
varargout = poisson_inv(varargin{:});
=== End poissinv.m

I'm not positive if varargout would work correctly here, more specifically if there is a way to force nargout to be correct without doing something like

if (nargout == 0)
    poisson_inv(varargin{:});
elseif (nargout == 1)
    varargout{1} = poisson_inv(varargin{:});
endif

Bill

--
"Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers."
  -- Tom Lehrer