user data types

From: Billings, Paul
Subject: user data types
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 11:52:00 -1000

I'd like to abstract a set of data to a 3-dimensional array (rows, cols,
frames).  I've implemented this capability in Matlab using objects, but I'm
trying to move to Octave.  This is one of my big roadblocks.

Essentially, the object is smart enough to load data when it is referenced.
I have implementations for a number of "formats".  For example, a sequence
of image files (f01.png, f02.png, ...) is abstracted.  I can then do things
like:
  a = img_data('*.png');
  [M, N, K] = size(a);
  for(i=1:K) imagesc(a(:,:,i)); title(i); pause; end;

To implement such a capability in octave, I think it has to be done in an
octfile.  I have looked at the code in ov.h/cc, and there's a lot there.  It
sure looks like octave can do what I want, but I would feel better with a
little confirmation.  Am I barking up the right tree here?

Paul