Cygwin install is going great

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Cygwin install is going great
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:15:06 -0500 (CDT)

I just installed the entire Cygwin package on Win XP (32 bit) and sure enough, Octave 2.1.71 was there as was Octave-Forge, and both seem to be working fine. I fired up X and ran a plot command -- Gnuplot appeared and displayed my graph.

After installing Cygwin, Octave "just worked." To get plot to work I only had to make a ~/.xinitrc and run xinit before running a plot command. Thus, an absolutely minimal amount of work is required from the user.

I know it wasn't always this easy. I want to recognize that things are working great now and I want to thank everyone who contributed to getting the Cygwin version of Octave and Octave-Forge up and running. Thanks!

Mike

P.S. I also tried the same thing on Win XP x64 and it failed. This is because of a Cygwin problem though and not an Octave problem, but if any of you have managed to get Cygwin running under x64, I would like to hear how you did it! Thanks.

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor