Re: Colors in plots and legend position

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Colors in plots and legend position
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:11:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Joe Koski wrote:

A while back Per Persson, the developer of AquaTerm (an X11 alternative for Macs), offered to help me install gnuplot-4.1 (from CVS) on my Mac. I never took him up on that offer.

Per says that with a script, you can have both 4.0 and 4.1 installed at the same time, and easily alternate between them. He also said that it took several years before gnuplot-4.0 was released, so expect a similar wait for 4.1.

This happened about a year ago. Per may have more recent information because of the AquaTerm interaction with gnuplot.

I'm personally hoping for one of the (many) octave visualization projects to take off so that we no longer depend on gnuplot for the easy to use (read built-in) plotting functions.

One thing that I'd somewhat like to have is a consolidated reference for all the plotting systems that are being developed; something perhaps listing the plotting functions that we'd like to implement from matlab and for ourselves and the status of each project with each of those functions. Perhaps include general themes (like handle graphics) on the list.

I know it's been discussed on the lists several times and that we get announcements of various feature changes/releases, but I prefer to have a concise reference in one place. Might this be something we could put on the octave wiki?

On a somewhat related note, are there any implementations of SVG graphics for octave?

Bill

--
Common sense is what tells you that the world is flat.
  -- unknown