Re: MATLAB / Octave compatability, spacing, parsing

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Re: MATLAB / Octave compatability, spacing, parsing
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:59:54 -0700

Hi all,

My earlier post was about the parsing compatibility between
Octave and MATLAB.  I've learned some things regarding this,
and FYI:

MATLAB doesn't allow whitespace before the transpose
operator.

  [0 1]'

works in MATLAB, but

  [0 1] '

doesn't.  Octave properly parses both cases.

MATLAB always requires `...'.

  rand (1, ...
        2)

and

  rand (1,
        2)

both work in Octave.  MATLAB chokes on the later.

Also, something else. MATLAB doesn't support `printf'.

  foo = 5;
  printf('My result is: %d\n', foo)

works in Octave, but not MATLAB.  If using MATLAB, the kludge
is to issue `fprintf' instead:

  foo = 5;
  fprintf('My result is: %d\n', foo)

I plan to be logging these kinds of things at
<http://zeidler.ucsd.edu/~sct/computer/octave_matlab.html>.

Thanks,
Steve