Re: no Octave announcements list?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: no Octave announcements list?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 23:59:29 -0500

On 15-Nov-2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| The announcements are sent to the octave-maintainers list (see
| http://www.octave.org/mailing-lists/octave-maintainers/2005/947).
|
| According to the mailing list archives page on octave.org, there is an
| "info" list. The page says the following about it:
|
| "Announcements about new releases of Octave and other news.

Yes, that's still the purpose of the info list.  But I haven't made
anything but snapshots for about N years now.  :-/

The last announcement I sent to the info list about a release was
probably for 2.0.17.  I created the 2.1.x series to allow development
to continue.  Until we started the testing/development labeling of
versions, I considered all 2.1.x versions to be snapshots rather than
"releases".  Now we have the same situation with 2.1.x and 2.9.x.
Maybe I should be sending announcements about "testing/recommended"
versions to the info list.

In any case, I will definitely send an announcement to the info list
when the 3.0 release happens.

After 3.0, maybe we should aim for more frequent releases on some kind
of schedule.  Something more like the current GCC scheme would be OK
with me if someone else is willing to take over the role of "release
manager".  But if no one is interested in doing that, then I will
likely revert to my sloth-like behavior and we will just see a long
series of minor 3.0.x revisions followed by a fork in the SVN (we will
be using SVN by then, no?) and another N years of snapshots.

jwe