Re: [OctDev] Re: Oddmuse Passwords (was Re: Website Updates) (fwd)

From: Joshua Rigler
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Re: Oddmuse Passwords (was Re: Website Updates) (fwd)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:02:08 -0600

Maybe this has already been suggested/tried, but what about using some sort of free/open source CAPTCHA program? If you aren't sure what that is, or if you want a good list of available implementations in Perl, PHP, Java, etc., as well as several online services, go to:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA

Sorry, I've never actually implemented any of these, but I suspect it can't be too hard if one has at least rudimentary web-authoring skills (famous last words).

-EJR

Paul Kienzle wrote:
How about the following?

Assuming the spam is coming from 'bots rather than humans,
you could post the password on the wiki itself.  Individual
humans who still spam can be handled with a blackhole list.
Persistent humans with 'bot nets would still be a problem, but there
should be few enough of these that we can automatically turf
edits which contain their spam string.  If the problem still
persists,  post new passwords to address@hidden periodically.

- Paul