Re: new octave-forge release

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: new octave-forge release
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:45:39 -0700

Paul,

Some feedback, mostly positive.

I rebuilt octave-forge-2006-03-17 with my octave-2.1.72 on my Mac. It took
about 30 minutes. The configuration is OS X 10.3.9, Xcode Tools 1.5, veclib,
ImageMagick-6.2.6, plus a half dozen other dependencies installed like gsl,
libjpeg, etc.

The best news is that this octave-forge version fixes the imread problem
that I was whining about last week. I can now imread and then image or
imshow gray scale .jpg files. For color images, bmpwrite (for Mac display
without X11) has problems:

ready to call bmpwrite
error: flipud: Only works with 2-d arrays
error: evaluating if command near line 48, column 3
error: called from `flipud' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.72/m/general/flipud.m'

This is not unexpected because a color .jpg is read as a 3-D matrix. I
looked at bmpwrite, and it appears flipud and transpose need to be replaced
with their 3-D equivalent (or break the image into three 2-D matrices for
processing). I'd try but I don't know the desired .bmp color output format.
I can test changes to bmpwrite, if somebody suggests them.

The image and imshow routines do work properly in color with the ImageMagick
display routine when I use X11.

On another front, I still get the first-time legend problem:

error: invalid row index = 0
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating argument list element number 1
error: evaluating prefix operator `!' near line 195, column 7
error: if: error evaluating conditional expression
error: evaluating if command near line 195, column 3
error: called from `legend' in file
`/usr/local/share/octave/2.1.72/site/m/octave-forge/plot/legend.m'
error: called from `run_recess_butter' in file
`/Users/jakoski/Codes/Recession Rate Calculations/run_recess_butter.m'

which goes away when I rerun the case, so is not a major problem.

Thanks to all. I'm sure this octave-forge version also solves some other
problems that I don't have a clue about.

Joe