Octave-forge build

From: Jason Russler
Subject: Octave-forge build
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:34:05 -0500

Hello all,
I have a user that requires a build of octave 2.9.4 with Octave-forge. Attempts to build octave-forge-2006.03.17 with octave-2.9.4 results in the configure failing when it can't find two header files:

$ ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
conftest.cc:2:28: octave/version.h: No such file or directory
conftest.cc:3:29: octave/defaults.h: No such file or directory
conftest.cc:27: syntax error before string constant
conftest.cc:28: syntax error before string constant
conftest.cc:29: syntax error before string constant
conftest.cc:30: syntax error before string constant
conftest.cc:31: syntax error before string constant
configure: error: Could not run mkoctfile

These header files are present in an install of Octave 2.1.x, for which this octave-forge CVS is apparently targeted, but not 2.9.4. However the requesting user indicated to me that this octave-forge release should build for the most recent development version of Octave. What do I need to do to make that work? (I'm not a user of Octave or Matlab but an administrator of systems.)
Thanks for any help I can get,
Jason