Re: Usenet newsgroup for Octave proposed

From: Madhusudan Singh
Subject: Re: Usenet newsgroup for Octave proposed
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 13:06:06 -0400

I think that having an Octave newsgroup would be a very good idea. Usenet
tends to reduce the amount of bandwidth spent as one need download only
messages that one is interested in, and the danger of exposing one's email
address to spammers also goes down (can use spam.invalid domain names, etc.).

I get about 10-15 octave related emails a day, if not more. I am usually not
interested in more than 75% of them. Utter waste of space, and time spent
deleting them. As to archives, most newsgroups are archived, so that is not
an advantage of mailing lists over newsgroups. If some people do not like the
newsgroups for whatever reason, we can try to construct a mail to news
gateway that can keep both current.