Re: Octave under fedora 5

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave under fedora 5
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 08:56:02 -0500

Nam-Ky Nguyen wrote:
I used what you suggested with Fedora 4 and octave worked. Now I am under
Fedora 5 and this does not work. Below are the error messages I got on my
computer screen. Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,
Nam Nguyen

address@hidden Desktop]# rpm -e octave
error: Failed dependencies:
        libcruft.so is needed by (installed)
octave-forge-2006.07.09-2.fc5.i386
        liboctave.so is needed by (installed)
octave-forge-2006.07.09-2.fc5.i386
        liboctinterp.so is needed by (installed)
octave-forge-2006.07.09-2.fc5.i386
        octave >= 2.9.6 is needed by (installed)
octave-forge-2006.07.09-2.fc5.i386
address@hidden Desktop]# yum install octave
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
extras                                                               [1/3]
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: extras
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: extras

Hmm, that error suggests you don't have the fedora-release package installed, which I thought was required. See if you can download the RPM and install it from one of the mirrors. After that is set up, then yum should work properly. I'm guessing you may have the FC4 version of octave installed. After you have yum working correctly, you could try upgrading octave using "yum update octave".

Quentin