Re: [Fwd: Re: Smoothing Functions without distorting matrices' edges]

From: Kevin H. Hobbs
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Smoothing Functions without distorting matrices' edges]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:39:09 -0400

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 20:31 +0200, Søren Hauberg wrote:

> I haven't used Perona-Malik that much, but a lot of image processing
> people recommends the algorithm. I think the algorithm is a special case
> of non-linear diffusion, and that the algorithm should be stable.

The image processing tool kits VTK and ITK have versions of these
algorithms, and decent documentation and references.

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkImageAnisotropicDiffusion3D.html
http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1AnisotropicDiffusionImageFilter.html

> >  and the other,
> > 'iterations'  I'm trying to vectorize this smoothing to
> > make it snappy.

It is possible to get their implementations to run in parallel at least
and you may find other ways to accelerate the method in there.