Re: using functions found in oct files from c++

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: using functions found in oct files from c++
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:55:39 +0200

man, 25 09 2006 kl. 12:57 -0400, skrev John W. Eaton:
> On 25-Sep-2006, Søren Hauberg wrote:
>
> | can I somehow call "some_function" from another oct file?
>
> Yes.  Use feval.
Okay, I'll do that.

> If you think that it is too slow to use feval, then please demonstrate
> that it really is too expensive (does anyone have any real numbers, or
> is this just folklore?).
I've just heard it so many times, that I assumed it was true. So I guess
it's just folklore...

> If it is too expensive, then I suspect the
> only reason is because it must look for newer versions of the
> function.  If that is enough to cause feval to be too slow, then any
> .oct file function would be too slow to call from Octave, since I
> think the mechanism used by feval is essentially the same as Octave
> uses internally for any function call.
Are there any issues with using a library to monitor changes in files?
I'm thinking about libraries such as FAM and Gamin. It would probably
only work on Free platforms, but still...

Søren