Re: debugging .oct libraries

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: debugging .oct libraries
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 16:26:04 -0500

On  7-Dec-2006, Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso wrote:

| I suppose it goes without saying that in order for this to work that
| Octave and all the .oct files need to be compiled with debug symbols?

Only if you want to be able to step into Octave itself with the
debugger.  It is not necessary if you just want to set breakpoints in
your own .oct files.  Just ignore the messages from gdb about no
debugging symbols found.

| Looks like I finally found a reason to compile myself instead of using
| the Debian binary.

Some (all?) versions of mkoctfile distributed in Debian have LDFLAGS
set to "-s" and use that when creating the .oct file.  If your copy of
mkoctfile is doing this, then you should set LDFLAGS="" so you can
debug your own .oct files.

I also find that setting CXXFLAGS="-ggdb3" (with no optimization flag)
helps a lot with debugging C++ code.

jwe