Re: Octave download statistics

From: J. Brian Adams
Subject: Re: Octave download statistics
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:58:17 -0500

I want to confirm one thing that has been speculated in this thread. I use Octave in my classes. To simplify the whole process I create a CD with binary distributions of Octave and gnuplot and an install script that I wrote. I then allow the students to make copies or simply loan the CD to them. That would mean that my single download is installed by as many as thirty more.

Brian

On Dec 13, 2006, at 2:07 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 13-Dec-2006, Shai Ayal wrote:

| Are there download totals for octave?

How would you get this?  I would guess most people using Octave now
are using binary distributions (various Linux, OS/X, and Cygwin
distributions).  There are many mirrors and ways to get these
packages, so how would you count them all?

Also, do you count each download as a user?  Maybe one download is
used by tens or hundreds.  Maybe the package is installed but never
used.  Maybe someone downloads just to look at the sources.

I no longer keep the log files at ftp.octave.org now since I don't
think that whatever number I would get from looking at the logs would
mean much anyway.

jwe