Re: rcond = 0 when using leasqr. How to check result?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: rcond = 0 when using leasqr. How to check result?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:37:24 +0200

address@hidden skrev:
Dear octave friends,
both optimizations bellow agree in their results, but the latter gives a msg:
`` warning: inverse: matrix singular to machine precision, rcond = 0 ''
Yeah, in many ways I find warnings to be quite annoying, since you can't catch them. However, since Octave is excellent a solution exists :-) What you can do is turn warnings into errors, which will give you more precise output, and allow you to catch the warnings.

To do this run

  warning("error", "all")

After this I get the following error by running your code:

  error: inverse: matrix singular to machine precision, rcond = 0
  error: evaluating assignment expression near line 303, column 8
  error: called from `leasqr' in file `/home/sh/leasqr.m'

Now, line 303 of leasqr.m looks like this

  jtgjinv=inv(jac'*Qinv*jac); %argument of inv may be singular

Perhaps, you can find a way to change leasqr, so that it doesn't need to explicitly calculate the inverse matrix?

Hope that helps,
  Søren