Re: octave stole my Terminal

From: novakyu
Subject: Re: octave stole my Terminal
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 00:26:38 -0700 (PDT)

Henry F. Mollet wrote:

> Thomas explained this to be before. I believe it has nothing to do with
> octave (see below)
> Henry
>  [~] -bash-2.05b 502$ ls
> Adobe_SVG_3.0 _nstaller_Log     Sites
> CMakeTmp                        Sites_extra
> cut
>
>  [~] -bash-2.05b 503$ exec ls
> Adobe_SVG_3.0 _nstaller_Log     Sites
> CMakeTmp                        Sites_extra
> cut
> [Process completed]
> % Now I have to open a new shell

If I understand Moc's problem correctly, I don't think it's "exec"'s
behavior that he's having problem with. The problem is every time he
launches Terminal, octave is being run, instead of his usual shell (be it
/bin/sh or /bin/bash).

My first rather wacky guess would be ... Moc, are you sure your shell isn't
"/usr/bin/octave" or something like that? :)

Here's a rather contrived example on Debian: I created a "test" user with
"shell" of /usr/bin/octave, and when I try to open a shell as that user ...

===
plato:~# grep test /etc/passwd
test:x:1001:1001:Tester:/home/test:/usr/bin/octave
plato:~# su - test
su: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.
(Ignored)
GNU Octave, version 2.1.73 (i486-pc-linux-gnu).
Copyright (C) 2006 John W. Eaton.
This is free software; see the source code for copying conditions.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; not even for MERCHANTIBILITY or
FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  For details, type `warranty'.

Additional information about Octave is available at http://www.octave.org.

Please contribute if you find this software useful.
For more information, visit http://www.octave.org/help-wanted.html

Report bugs to <address@hidden> (but first, please read
http://www.octave.org/bugs.html to learn how to write a helpful report).

-su:1>
===

The only thing I couldn't reproduce is the "exec octave" line, as I get:

===
-su:2> system("ps aux | grep octave")
test     28817  0.0  0.1   4992  1380 pts/15   S+   00:17   0:00 sh -c ps
aux | grep octave
test     28819  0.0  0.0   3712   708 pts/15   R+   00:17   0:00 grep octave
ans = 0
-su:3>
===

It's actually a mystery to me why I don't see any octave proper running
there.

I don't know for sure what additional rc scripts are run in OS X, but you
might want to check system files like /etc/profile and /etc/bashrc, etc,
etc. You should check any files that your own .bashrc or .bash_profile or
.profile, or .login is sourcing.

And, if you are really interested in finding which process is launching that
octave, you might try "ps afu" instead. I have to admit I don't know all the
switches to ps, but at least in GNU's version of ps (in BSD compatible mode,
I think), "f" seems to bring up a tree view that shows the child-parent
relationship between processes. If this doesn't work, you can ... well, look
at "man ps" on your system to see what option will let you see PPID (parent
process ID).

And until you find a real solution, this bandage that I found might work for
you too :)

===
-su:13> system("exec bash")
address@hidden:~$